Media Archive

Family displaced after LaGrange fire

Article from Bangor Daily News, Friday, April 07, 2006

By Doug Kesseli
Staff Writer


LAGRANGE - Fire damaged a Bennoch Road home early Thursday morning, but firefighters managed to save much of the old farmhouse.

Old wiring in the home is believed to have been the cause, and the fire is suspected to have started in an outlet in the living room where a cord had been plugged in, LaGrange Fire Chief Roger Stanley said.

Firefighters from LaGrange and Alton contained the fire to the living room, although there was smoke and water damage elsewhere in the home. Stanley estimated as much as $10,000 in damage was done to the home, but he said it would be a while before the family that had been living there can return.

The Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing assistance, and Stanley said that the owner of the home, Corey Trafton, his wife and two kids may be staying with family in LaGrange until they can return. Stanley said he believed the family had insurance.

The fire was reported at 8:14 a.m. by a passing motorist who drove a half-mile up the road to a store at the intersection of Routes 16 and 155 to call the fire department.

No family members were inside the home at the time of the fire, although a dog and a cat had been left inside. The cat perished from the smoke, but the dog, a white German shepherd, was found safe inside.

"We hunted for him and finally found him in the bathroom," Stanley said.

Firefighters were at the scene for 3 1/2 hours, Stanley said.


"Content above originated in the edition noted as a copyrighted article and is posted here with permission of the Bangor Daily News. This permission does not extend to reproduction of these articles in any other form or publication."


NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.