Media Archive

Police laud witnesses for help in 2004 road rage case

Article from Bangor Daily News, Thursday, March 23, 2006

By Diana Bowley
Staff Writer

BROWNVILLE - Seven local residents and a Bucksport man were recognized on Monday at the annual town meeting for helping police solve a road rage case that occurred in September 2004.

The testimony of the individuals convinced a father and son to admit to the crime that left a central Maine man injured.

"This is how we get cases solved," Brownville Police Chief Todd Lyford told residents on Monday as he recognized two of the people who attended the meeting, Tera Guthrie of Brownville and Doug Lyford of Milo.

Those who were unable to attend the meeting but were recognized include:
Randy Heath, Dean Bellaty, Barbara Gray, Cindy Anderson, Joshua Guthie and Walter Lutterell, all of Brownville, and Michael King II of Bucksport.

The 24-year-old victim had been on his way to his family's Millinocket camp when the incident happened, according to Todd Lyford.

Adrian X. Miguens, 21, and his father, Xavier F. Miguens, 44, formerly of Brownville but now of Saco, drove up behind the victim's vehicle, passed it and then slowed down. The victim said he then passed the vehicle containing the Miguens, and the two men continued the pattern.

Lyford said the victim was driving more than 100 mph at one point trying to elude the Miguens, who remained behind him. At the corner of a curve, the Miguens bumped the victim's vehicle and sent it into a ditch and onto its roof, he said.

The two men then stopped and dragged the victim from his car and proceeded to punch and kick him, the officer said. One of the men broke his hand while hitting the victim's face, Lyford said.

Motorists who witnessed the chase and the beating came forward to help police.

"Had it not been for them, we probably wouldn't have been able to convict these two people for what they did," Piscataquis County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said Tuesday. "We were grateful for their help."

The victim remained overnight at a hospital and was released the next day.

Xavier Miguens, who was indicted in June 2005 for aggravated assault and reckless conduct, later pleaded no contest to assault and to reckless conduct. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail on the first count and two years in prison with all but 90 days suspended on the latter charge.

Adrian X. Miguens, also indicted in June for aggravated assault and reckless conduct, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. The reckless conduct charge was dismissed. The pair were ordered to pay combined restitution of $5,105.

"Content above originated in the edition noted as a copyrighted article and is posted here with permission of the Bangor Daily News."

NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.