Media Archive

Resort developer seeks extension

Article from Bangor Daily News, Saturday, March 18, 2006

By Diana Bowley
Staff Writer


BROWNVILLE - The developer of a proposed high-end resort has asked the planning board to extend the deadline for preliminary approval to allow him more time for on-site testing.

Jim Dennehy of WHG Development has proposed construction of The Reserve at
Norton Pond, a $500 million high-end resort for the Schoodic and Ebeemee lakes region. His plans are to develop over a 10-year period a four-star hotel, train station, a convention center, spa facility, a conference center, golf school and golf course, clubhouse, three free-standing restaurants, and 400 time-share units on some of the 4,000 acres he owns.

Preliminary documents filed last year with the town indicate he wants to construct 200 of the time-share units and the golf course by April 2007; the hotel, other time-share units and auxiliary buildings by the last quarter of 2008.

Dennehy had six months to file a final plan to the town after preliminary approval was given for his subdivision request in September. That deadline was scheduled to expire next week, according to Brownville Town Manager Sophia Wilson.

Debbie White, a Bangor Realtor who is Dennehy's Maine liaison, said Friday the developer needed more time for the state permitting and the wetlands testing that could not be done this winter.

Anticipating a request for an extension, Wilson said the board consulted with the town's attorney and learned it has no authority to grant an extension.

The board, however, can meet and accept all of Dennehy's documentation and give preliminary approval again, Wilson said Friday. This move would give the developer another six months to complete his plan.

The planning board will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 21, in the town office, to address the issue. If the board chooses to grant preliminary approval, the approval will be for the material already submitted. The developer will not be allowed to present anything new during the meeting, she said. No public hearing is required.

"It's a time extension without being a time extension," Wilson said. She said she expects that in the next month or so, the town should receive the final documentation requested from Dennehy. At that time, it's expected Dennehy will submit his final plan to the Department of Environmental Protection.

"We're definitely working very hard" to finish the final plan, White said.


"Content above originated in the edition noted as a copyrighted article and is posted here with permission of the Bangor Daily News."


NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.