Media Archive

Medford man's trailer destroyed in fire

Article from Bangor Daily News, Tuesday, March 21, 2006

By Nick Sambides, Jr.
Staff Writer


MEDFORD - A town man sought shelter at a bed-and-break-fast Monday after a fast-moving fire demolished his trailer and his belongs, firefighters said.

Sam Michaued of North Road was home when the fire started near his wood stove. He immediately fled to a neighbor's house and called 911 at about 10:30 a.m., Piscataquis County Sheriff's Department dispatchers said.

When Milo Volunteer Fire Chief David Preable arrived in his own car about 10 minutes later, he immediately radioed that the trailer was ablaze, Milo dispatcher Murrel Harris said.

Two Milo firefighters got to the scene in the first pumper about five minutes later but could do nothing to save the structure except pour water on it from the outside, Harris said.

"By then, it was probably a total loss," Harris said. Michaued reportedly had no insurance.

Firefighters reported the trailer's collapse at about 11:10 a.m., Harris said. Another
pumper and two tanker trucks from Brownville and Brownville Junction helped douse the smoldering trailer's remains.

In all, 18 firefighters from neighboring Milo and the other towns responded.

No one was injured.

The fire did not immediately appear to be suspicious, Harris said.

It might have been caused by a flaw in the stove or an overheated pipe, he said, adding that the trailer had no electricity.

Harris said he didn't know whether a state fire marshal was called to the scene.

The American Red Cross was called in to help Michaued, and he will be put up at a bed-and-breakfast on Elm Street in Milo for the next few days, Harris said.


"Content above originated in the edition noted as a copyrighted article and is posted here with permission of the Bangor Daily News."


NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.