Media Archive

Crash injures two in Milo

Article from The Piscataquis Observer, Vol. 164, No. 1, January 02, 2002

By John Plestina
Staff Writer

LifeFlight helicopter malfunctions, ambulances respond

MILO Police say a LifeFlight helicopter broke down and was unable to transport accident victims in an emergency situation on Dec. 27. The helicopter was requested after a car crossed a roadway and crashed into a tree, leaving two men seriously injured.

Milo Police Chief Todd Lyford said the helicopter landed but was unable to transport the accident victims due to an ignition problem. The chopper was on the ground for a short time while the mechanical problem was being corrected.

Meanwhile, two ambulances from Mayo Regional Hospital, in Dover-Foxcroft, and Three Rivers Ambulance Service, in Milo, transported the victims.

Lyford indentified the two injured men as Justin Dean, 18, of Brownville Junction, and James Tweedie, 18, of Milo.

Dean was transported directly to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. Tweedie was taken first to Mayo Regional Hospital and then to EMMC.

EMMC reported Dean's condition as serious on Dec. 28. His condition had been upgraded to fair at press time on Monday.

EMMC Community Relations Director Marie Durant explained the clinical definietion of fair. "Vital signs are stable within normal limits. The patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable," she said.

Lyford said Monday that Dean was to be released from the hospital that day.

Tweedie remained in critical condition Monday morning.

The clinical definition of critical includes unstable vital signs that may not be within normal limits. The patient may or may not be concious. Indicators may not be favorable, according to Durant.

An emergency 9-1-1 call reporting the accident was received by the Piscataquis County Sheriff's Office at 5:43 a.m.

"They were traveling east on Stanchfield Ridge Road. They were coming down and came up on the intersection of the Lake View Road. They crossed Lake View Road and struck a tree," Lyford said.

Maine State Police and the Brownville Police Department assisted at the scene and with the investigation.

The police chief said Friday that the cause of the crash remained under investigation. "The whole accident is being reconstructed by the state police," he said.

"Speed and alcohol is believed to be a factor in the accident," Lyford said Monday morning.

The car was a 1989 Mercury Sable, owned and driven by Tweedie, according to Lyford.

Attempts to contact LifeFlight were unsuccessful.

NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.