Media Archive

Plan crashes into Saddleback Mountain

Article from The Piscataquis Observer, Vol. 164, No. 42, October 16, 2002

By Sarah MacIlroy
Staff Writer

Pilot of Norridgewock killed; state to verify identification

BROWNVILLE The pilot of a Cessna 182 single-engine jet that crashed near the summit of Saddleback Mountain outside Brownville Junction Friday evening died, and the State Medical Examiner's office is work-
ing to identify the remains.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, said that the unidentified
pilot is believed to be from Norridgewock.

Family members are obtaining dental records to assist in the identification.

Nobody else was in the plane at the time of the crash.

According to McCausland, the crash occurred at about 8:30 p.m., with the plane hitting a plateau se to the summit of Saddleback. The state police and Maine Warden Service were notified late Saturday morning of the crash, and pilots from the warden service and the Civil Air Patrol surveyed the area for the plane's remains.

A warden pilot spotted the plane," still smoldering, at 3 p.m. Saturday and, McCausland said, a team of
game wardens and a state trooper hiked up a woods road to the site from Katahdin Iron Works to con-
firm the pilot died in the crash. The body was recovered Sunday.

"A positive i.d. has not been made," McCausland said Tuesday.

The four seater air craft, demolished in the crash, was owned by Lex Transport, out of Keene, N.H.

McCausland said the pilot was on his way home to Norridgewock, after dropping a passenger off in
Caribou Friday.

An investigator from the National Transportation Safety Board was at the scene of the crash Tuesday, where the plane remains.

This was the second plane crash in the region in the past week. A Cessna Citation jet crashed Oct. 7 while landing at Dexter Regional Airport, leaving the pilot, Douglas Schumann, 58, of Southington, Conn., and three passengers injured. The cause of that crash remains under investigation, according to Dave Muzio of the National Transportation Safety Board. He said a preliminary report will be available within a week on
that incident.

NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.