Media Archive

Fire levels Brownville home

Article from The Piscataquis Observer, Vol. 165, No. 4, January 22, 2003

By Jessica Lee
Staff Writer


Observer Photo/Jessica Lee
ON THE SCENE Brownville firefighters last week fight back the flames at the afternoon fire that left a Central Square home in ruins.

BROWNVILLE An acetylene welding torch was the cause of a fire last week that consumed a 50-year-old home, formerly Gerrish's Store, adjacent the fire station.

Scott Wyman, owner of the home, and his family are staying with relatives in the area, according to officials with the American Red Cross in Bangor.

Brownville Fire Chief Patrick Thomas said the cause of the fire was determined to be a torch, which Wyman had been using in the garage for repairs to a pickup truck.

He said Wyman had been using the apparatus before going into the main house for lunch, near 1 p.m. on Jan. 15. The fire was reported soon after at 1:15 p.m.

Thomas said that Wyman was in the process of remodeling the Central Square home, next door to the fire station.

Firefighters from Brownville and Milo, Three Rivers Ambulance and Mayo Ambulance, as well as Brownville police responded to the scene. Initially, Thomas said, firefighters began an interior attack but found the building was burning too hot. An outside attack on the flames took three hours, before it was under control.

Thomas said that older construction tends to burn faster than newer buildings, due to a lack of fire stops in the walls.

Nobody was injured in the fire According to Thomas, the home was insured, and adjusters are in the
process of evaluating the property.


NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.