Old News Archive

Youth Hunters Get Their Own Day

October 19, 2006 - TRC

AUGUSTA, Maine -- Once again this year, youth deer hunters will get their own day on Saturday, October 21.

“Youth day is a great way to introduce a young hunter to a tradition such as deer hunting,” said Roland D. Martin, Commissioner, Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. “Hunting is a wonderful recreational activity. It teaches children conservation, patience, responsibility and many other fine qualities.”

Hunters who are 10 and older and younger than 16 and possess a junior hunting license (either resident or non-resident) can hunt deer on this day if they are under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian or a qualified adult. Any person who accompanies a junior hunter other than that parent or guardian must either possess a valid hunting license or have successfully completed a hunter safety course. A qualified adult is a person at least 18 years of age approved by that youth hunter’s parent or guardian, and this person must hold a valid Maine hunting license or have successfully completed a hunter safety course. The accompanying adult cannot possess a firearm.

The junior hunter on this day can take one deer of either sex, by firearm or by bow and arrow, anywhere in the state that is open to hunting. An any-deer permit is not needed to take a female deer on this day. If the youth hunter tags a deer, they still may hunt other deer seasons only if they possess a bonus deer permit or hunt with a bow and arrow in an expanded archery zone. All laws pertaining to hunting during the open firearms season on deer apply on the youth deer day.

Hunters can also transfer their any deer permits or Bonus Deer Permit to a junior hunter, a person 65 years of age or older, or to a person with ambulatory disabilities. A resident permit may only be transferred to another resident, and a nonresident permit may only be transferred to another nonresident. The transfer can be done online until 11:59 p.m. October 27, 2006.. Permits can also be transferred by completing the 2006 Any-Deer/Bonus Deer Permit Transfer Request Form that is mailed along with your permit.

Submitted By Mark Latti, DIFW

NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.