Milo Free Public Library keeping it's winter schedule
December 07, 2009 - TRC
The first library in Milo was established by the Womenís Christian Temperance Union. On July 27, 1921 the Milo Free Public Library Corporation was formed. The next year construction of the brick building designed by Frederick A. Patterson of Bangor, Maine, was begun, aided by ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) promised from the Carnegie Corporation. With the funds for the new structure ascertained the W.C.T.U. turned all of its library holdings over to the new corporation which opened its new library in 1923.
In 1989 the Milo Free Public Library was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Milo must balance improvements with architectural integrity to maintain this status. The library is one of the eighty-five original Carnegie library buildings and one of the sixty-eight remaining buildings still in use as libraries.
The library today participates in the Inter-Library Loan Service allowing library patrons access to an expanded number of books. The library has continued to support literacy oriented groups for children. There has been a Preschool Story Hour held during the school year. Preschoolers in this group enjoyed stories, songs, and crafts. Additionally several visits to the library are made by children of an individual preschool. Children and many involved parents come to the library as part of their learning experiences. The Kiwanis Kids Korner for students in kindergarten through third grade has held sessions also. Youngsters were provided stories, crafts and refreshments.
The library benefits the community as a literacy resource, not only for general reading; but also for itís educational value to residents and visitors of all ages. Computers have been a part of the library setting for many years now. New computers have been added from time to time, upgraded and services improved for users. The youngsters pictured look right at home in the library and it's good to see that the computers are the asset it was hoped they'd be.
The next time you stop by the library check out the new floor that was redone just this year. The work disrupted the operation of the library only briefly and is a big improvement.
Library Winter Hours are now Mondays and Wednesdays 2:00-8:00, Fridays 1:00-7:00 and Saturdays 2:00-4:00.
The library website is : http://www.milo.lib.me.us
NOTE - This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of the TRC Alliance Team.