Sebec Village Associates (more commonly known as The Reading Room) was organized in the fall of 1946. Mr. Frederick K. Rupprecht offered to give to a responsible group the Sebec Reading Room and library, which he had maintained for many years for the benefit of the townspeople. The first formal meeting was held on July 5, 1947. The organization of "Sebec Village Associates" was perfected, officers elected, by-laws adopted, and the application for incorporation signed.
The original members of Sebec Village Associates were as follows:
Wm. Burgess, Jr.
Edwin Wyman, Jr.
*This information was posted by Shirley Nason Wright and taken from The History of Sebec, written by Shirley Nason Wright in 1987.